by Suvi Simola
originally published on her blog, 50 Villapeikkoa.
I sent my submission to Twist Collective last winter and when I received their acceptance message, I started (right after I had stopped jumping and had calmed down) thinking about the implementation. It was good to start early, as I changed my mind many times while searching for better ways to do things. Because this sweater is knit from top down, I naturally had to start from increases. After trying basic raglan and yoke increases, I ended up with something in between — I created increases that spread out like beams of sun on both sides.
I live in Finland, and shipping to and from the States can take awhile. By the time the yarn came, the deadline was quite close, so my days were all about knitting. Fortunately I had some wonderful people here at home and two knitters elswhere who helped me to keep my sanity. Thanks Mari and Tea!
Sleeves are the thing I love the most about this sweater. I wanted the buttonband to be sturdy and not lose its shape, so it's cabled too. Increases and decreases are hidden inside the cabling.
The yarn was wonderful, Madelinetosh Tosh Worsted, a hand dyed merino yarn that was great to work with. Blocking suprised me the most. Of course the sweater stretched at first, but it actually shrunk back to its original measurements when drying. Quite amazing. Oh, and one more thing, the sample sweater is size 34" and I'm smaller, so it's a bit big for me :-)
The sweater left Finland pretty much at the last moment, but it didn't have to travel alone, it went in a good company. And I just love tracking tools.